Public Records in New Hampshire

The New Hampshire Right to Know Law allows everyone living in the state to access, gain, and explore any available State public records. Official records that can be accessed and open for examination by the general public fall under the cover of public records. You can obtain information on a person’s criminal history, registered property, business accounts from the responsible agencies. Interested individuals can also conveniently obtain death, birth, or marriage records from the government department holding the paper. 

Court Records in New Hampshire

There are millions of court documents open to the public through the courts. However, in New Hampshire, some records are kept confidential by statute, rule, or order except by order of the court to make it open. Such categories of sealed cases include juvenile cases (CHINS; Children in Need of Services, delinquency, neglect/abuse, termination of parental rights, adoption), grand jury records, applications for wiretaps. The agencies also keep pending or denied applications for search or arrest warrants and information on cases still undergoing investigation private. The Judicial Branch in New Hampshire provides guidelines and the direction you need to obtain court records. 

Find courts records in New Hampshire through a portal provided by the state’s judicial branch.

You can subscribe to New Hampshire Judicial Branch list service to get information on the justice system in the state. To peruse court records in person, visit the state’s Judicial Branch at:

New Hampshire Judicial Branch

1 Granite Place, Suite N400 

Concord, NH 03301

Phone: 1-855-212-1234

Vital Records

As the name implies, vital records are important records of life events within the state. Such life’s events include birth, death, marriage, and divorce. The state keeps information on these events. The public can obtain these records at the New Hampshire Division of Vital Records Administration (DVRA) under the New Hampshire Secretary of State. DVRA is responsible for issuing certified copies of vital records to qualified persons who wish to obtain a record. Not everyone is eligible to receive certified copies.

In most cases, the agency issues certified copies to identified close relatives or a legal representative. You can obtain an online application and requirements to obtain records, following procedures outlined by the Department of State. Interested persons can request certified copies of vital records through the state’s office. Individuals are to complete and submit their request along with photo identification and required payment in U.S. funds to:

N.H. Department of State Division of Vital Records Administration


9b Ratification Way

Concord, NH 03301-2455

Email: [email protected]

TDD Access: Relay NH 1-800-735-2964

Alternatively, anyone who wishes to access vital records in person can do so by visiting the records division at:

Division of Vital Records Administration

Archives Building 

71 South Fruit Street

Concord, NH 03301-2410 

Interested parties may obtain copies of divorce records from the State office or Clerk of Superior/Family Division Court that granted the divorce in the county.

Bear in mind that certified copies of vital records come at a cost.

Birth, death, marriage, and divorce cost: $15.00 (additional copies ordered at the same time cost $10.00 each). 

Criminal Records in New Hampshire

People search criminal records for different reasons. Employees want to know the criminal background of potential staff. People seeking information on someone they intend to let into their personal space and family also use background checks. A criminal record is a collection of information on a person’s criminal history, arrest, and conviction from the Law enforcement agencies in the state. The registry is also known as a rap sheet. It contains statistics like name, age, physical description, date of arrest, the reason for arrest, date offense occurred, and sentence if convicted.

The Criminal Records Unit of the New Hampshire Department of Safety maintains Criminal History Record Information (CHRI). You can carry out a walk-in search at the department.

Contact Information:

New Hampshire Department of Safety

Division of State Police

Central Repository for Criminal Records

33 Hazen Drive, 

Concord, Room 10, NH03305

Phone: (603) 223-3867

You can also send your mailing requests for criminal records to the address above. Notarization is not necessary for mail-in applicants requesting criminal records. An attached copy of a valid photo I.D. and the $25.00 application fee is, however, required. You can check the Judicial Branch website for online services to search criminal records.

Sex Offenders Registry in New Hampshire

New Hampshire has a sex offender registry kept and updated by the State Department of Justice. This registry contains information on sex offenders in the state. People living in New Hampshire can access a national registry and search locally for offenders in the state. You can also contact the New Hampshire State Police for matters regarding sex offender registry or registration at:

The new Hampshire State Police

 Sexual Offender Registration 

33 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03305

Phone: (603) 223-3870

Inmates Records

Inmate’s records contain information on incarcerated persons in the state. The New Hampshire Department of Correction (DOC) keeps this information. Anyone can access it via the internet on the DOC website. 

You can perform a name search with the complete first and last name to find inmates in New Hampshire using the Inmate Locator maintained by the DOC. Contact the department of corrections at:

The New Hampshire Department of Corrections

105 Pleasant Street

P.O. Box 1806

Concord, NH 03302-1806

Phone: (603) 271-5600, (888) 908-6609

Bankruptcy Records in New Hampshire

An individual who owes more debt than he can pay can file for bankruptcy in New Hampshire. This system doesn’t just apply to individuals who owe anyone money; the laws also apply to troubled businesses unable to pay their debts. Bankruptcy laws help them get a fresh start by liquidating their assets to pay their debts. The United States Bankruptcy Court handles these case filings; bankruptcy cases are not in the jurisdiction of state courts. 

Bankruptcy proceedings are available and accessible records. You can use the case locator (PACER) on the Bankruptcy Court to find a file. The United States Bankruptcy Court District of New Hampshire is responsible for bankruptcy cases. To get bankruptcy case records, you can send a mail or pay a visit to the bankruptcy court between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Mondays to Fridays at:

United States Bankruptcy Court 

District of New Hampshire 

Warren B. Rudman U.S. Courthouse

55 Pleasant Street, Room 200

Concord, NH 03301

Phone: (603) 222-2600

Mailing Address:

U.S. Bankruptcy Court

District of New Hampshire

Warren B. Rudman U.S. Courthouse

55 Pleasant Street, Room 200

Concord, NH 03301-3941

Business Records in New Hampshire

There are available business records in the state. The Secretary of State (SOS) provides statistics on businesses within the state, and anyone can access them. The corporation Division of the SOS is responsible for recording all information concerning business entities operating in New Hampshire and making the information available to the community. 

Contact the New Hampshire Department of State at:

New Hampshire Department of State

State House, Room 204, 107 North

Main Street, Concord, N.H. 03301

Phone: 603-271-2344

Email: [email protected]

In essence

These are frequently requested records in New Hampshire, and they are available and not difficult to obtain. Many of these statistics are obtainable for free. Several online platforms are made available by the government agencies responsible for these records within the state to make your search convenient. 

When there are records sealed to the public either by court order or statutory provisions, only authorized persons may access such sealed records. You may contact the agencies to know the requirement for authorized persons.