Vermont Public Records

In Vermont, public records are open files accessible for general viewing, exploration, and obtaining from a government agency. These files come in various formats, from photographs to audio recordings and written documents. Whatever the document structure, these materials can be stored and presented to anyone who may seek them. Individuals can get public records following the procedures and requirements outlined by the government departments or agencies. Anyone can ask for and receive files from government offices, excluding the ones that have restrictions. The procedure to obtain records varies depending on the type of record or the record-holding office.

Notwithstanding the various record-holding departments in Vermont, a person may begin searching for public records by placing a demand physically, sending an email, or mailing the Office of the State Treasurer. Visit the state treasurer’s office at:

Office of the State Treasurer

109 State Street

4th Floor, Montpelier

VT 05609-6200

Email: [email protected]

Accessing Vital Information in Vermont

Vital records in Vermont are records of life’s occasions. Among such events are births, deaths, marriages, civil unions, divorces, dissolutions, fatal deaths, and abortions; that occur within the state. There are no limitations to accessing vital records in Vermont. Interested entities can also receive copies of vital records online. However, when an individual obtains a copy of a document online, it may be unusable for legal purposes. 

In Vermont, you can apply for certified copies of birth and death from any of the agencies listed below:

  • Any Vermont Town or City Clerk’s office: You can find office locations using the state’s web-based directory.
  • Vermont State Archives and Records

Tanya Marshall, State Archivist & Director

1078 Route 2, Middlesex 

Montpelier, VT 05633-7701


Fax: 802-828-3710

Office Hours: 7:45 am to 4:30 pm

People who want to can also get materials on vital records over the internet.

The Vital Records Division of the Vermont Health Department preserves a database of vital records in the state. Interested entities can acquire information on their ancestors or research family history through VSARA-Vital Records. 

You can also receive records by mail. Most mail request orders take five to seven business days from the date of request. However, for faster delivery, expedited shipping is available at an additional fee of $14.50. In such instances, the order will be delivered overnight from the day of the order.

 The cost of a certified copy of vital records from the Vermont Department of health varies depending on the information. To acquire a marriage certificate costs $10.00 both at the state and local level. Copies of marriage documents beyond five years cost $12. 00.

Marriage dissolution records at both county and state levels cost $10. 00. Death and birth records cost $ 10.00 for each request.

Criminal Records

Criminal records in Vermont are files on felony offenses, infringements, apprehensions, indictments, and imprisonments. These materials come from multiple state sources. Criminal records in Vermont are official fillings of these occurrences. The info is presented to interested citizens by the Vermont Department of Public Safety (DPS). You can also get records online; through the Vermont Criminal Conviction Record Internet Service(VCCRIS), a DPS subsidiary. This service enables a person to purchase state records on offenders from the VCIC (Vermont Crime Information Center). Note that you cannot obtain certified material from the VCIC portal. 

There is a non-refundable fee attached to obtaining offender records. Criminal Conviction History Records cost $30.00 per request. It is important to note that the charge is non-refundable regardless of the search result. The VCIC can verify materials obtained online through the VCCRIS at no cost at the Online Validation Service.

Alternatively, an in-person visit to the DPS can prove to be efficient. Visit the office at:

Department of Public Safety

45 State Drive

Waterbury, VT 05671



Arrest Records

The Vermont State Police (VSP) hold arrest records in the state. The police make these documents easy for anyone to look up. Law enforcement bodies may restrict material scrutiny, considering the general community’s interest. For instance, if a case is still under investigation, the police may withhold details from the public. You can appeal for detention info by walking into the VSP office. You can also send an electronic mail or make a web-based request. To successfully search the online database, you need the following; 

the VSP case number, incident date, info on parties involved, type of incident, valid email address, and a credit card for payment.

It is mandatory for public offices to input all public records in a unified database managed by the Agency of Administration (AOA). The material is published on the administrative body’s website and offered to everyone who wishes to inquire.

To obtain records physically, contact the Vermont state police at:

Vermont State Police

Attn: Record Request

45 State Drive

Waterbury, VT 05671-1300

As much as detention records are out there for anyone, getting a copy is not without charge. A police report from VSP costs $20.00, Photo CD: $20. 00, Video: $45. 00, Audio Recording: $45. 00. This fee is refundable for reports that are not released.

Sex Offender Records in Vermont

Vermont Crime Information Center (VCIC) provides detailed information on sex offenders in the state. There is an organized sex offender registry established under the VCIC. The registry keeps up-to-date information on sex offenders within the state and is accessible to everyone. However, laws in the state prohibit agencies from releasing the identity of victims, especially minors. Also, note that the registry does not provide details of all sex offenders within the state. Nevertheless, you can get more relevant material or submit an application on sex offenders to the VCIC at:

Vermont Crime Information Center

45 State Drive 

Waterbury, VT 05671-1300

Tel: 802-244-8727

Fax: 802-241-5552

[email protected]

(802) 241-5400

Vermont Business Records

The Office of the State Secretary (SOS), Business Division, delivers business services in Vermont. In Vermont, you can get a report on any business entity, trademark by running a search on the SOS website.

 You can get info on businesses, charity organizations, and companies by walking into the office of the business division from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm, Mondays to Fridays at:

Vermont Secretary of State

Corporations Division

Stacey Drinkwine, Director

128 State Street

Montpelier, VT 05633


88-647-4582 (toll-free)

Email for general inquiries: [email protected]

The Bottom Line

In a nutshell, Vermont, like most states, has available resources for private citizens and corporations to get public records. These materials will be beneficial for both safety and convenience as long as the materials exist. The web-based platforms are as safe and efficient as walk-in services are. You can go through an online directory of agencies in Vermont through the agency of digital services.